Top Ten Hyped Books I’ve Never Read
There are quite a few books I could include in this list, but many of them have already made appearances in other Top Ten Tuesday posts of mine (*cough* The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo *cough*), so I’m going to try and include as many new-to-my-TTT picks as I can… Most of these haven’t been read, because let’s be serious for a minute, the Hype Monster is terrifying.
1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak – OK, we’re off to a bad start, because I have written about this one before, but that was before I started reading it. I wasn’t gripped by it at the time and put it down… Everyone seems to talk about this book, and love this book, and it’s narrated by death, and yadda yadda. I just haven’t felt the urge to pick it up again since, but I will, someday.
2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen – I’ve always struggled with the classics (I feel like I say that a lot), but I’ve made some progress in the past year (yay for To Kill A Mockingbird!). Unfortunately, this is one I haven’t made any progress with yet. I did watch the BBC adaptation, and I really enjoyed it, and I tried to read this again after watching it, and it really was a much more enjoyable experience… but I’ve yet to finish it. I will though.
3. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel – This book went through a phase where it was just everywhere, so much so, that I actually bought it. So that’s a start. But then, I started seeing really mediocre reviews once the hype died down a little, and it’s made me scared.
4. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor – I know. Shame on me. One of the most hyped series on the inter-webby-waves and I haven’t even attempted to get my hands on it yet. This is another one I feel will definitely happen some day. Praise gets heaped on this series all the time!
5. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell – Or anything by Rainbow Rowell for that matter. I suck at being a book blogger, right? 😀
6. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi – What is life?! I’ve actually owned this one for a while now, and being the big mood reader I am, I haven’t picked it up yet. It seems to create quite a divide in the bookish community. It’s bookish marmite. That cover though ❤
7. The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey – Another one I own but haven’t read yet. When I realised it was (yet another) series, I lost enthusiasm to be honest. I’m doing good at buying hyped books (and for cheap, I got this as a brand new hardback for less than £1!), I’m just not so good at reading them.
9. Cinder by Marissa Meyer – This is a tough one. Sci-Fi usually doesn’t rock my boat (edit: The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy didn’t rock my boat), but I’ve heard SO MANY good things about this series. I own Scarlett, because I picked it up new for less than £2, but unfortunately Cinder wasn’t on offer. And we all know I rarely do full price books! (Unless you’re Colleen Hoover, then I do full price books).
10. The Maze Runner by James Dashner – I picked up the full series on The Book People for a great price, but then I started hearing bad things about the books once the movies were released. No doubt I’ll get to these at some stage, but for now they lounge quite happily in my dining room.
Have you read any of the books on my list? Do you think I’m CRAZY to not have read any of them yet? Let me know in the comments, and link me up to your posts!