This is the end of my first year as a blogger, and so my first ever End of Year Book Survey! Yay! First of all, thank you to Jamie @ The Perpetual Page Turner for inventing this Survey, and second of all, thank you to all of you who read this (or any of my other posts), for supporting my
addiction hobby, and for joining me in my little corner of the Internet! If you would like to participate you can link up here.
This will be at least 63 by the end of the year (I’m halfway through Heir of Fire). I hit my goal early and think I started slacking because the pressure was off. Overall, I’m pleased with what I read. I’m not sure yet if I’m going to aim for 52 again next year, or up it to 60. Opinions?
Number of Re-Reads:
This is more than I thought, but that’s because I reread the first 5 books in The Mortal Instruments series when City of Heavenly Fire was released. I’ve signed up to The Reread Challenge for 2015 though, as I’d like to fit in some more of my favourites next year.
Genre You Read The Most From:
I need to figure out an easier way to figure this out… I’d hazard a guess that I mostly read dystopian and contemporary romance this year.
1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
Throne of Glass surprised me in such a good way (and will likely take up this entire End of Year Survey)! It’s been so long since I’ve been this excited about a series! Beautiful Oblivion surprised me in a bad way, I really liked Beautiful Disaster and was expecting more of the same, but I just felt it was… lacking.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
It’s a tie between Colleen Hoover and Sarah J Maas.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Celaena Sardothien and Chaol Westfall from Throne of Glass, and Ridge from Maybe Someday.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
I’m terrible at writing down quotes I love or being able to remember them on the spot, I’m going with this one from City of Glass:
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Longest: City of Heavenly Fire @ 725 pages
Shortest: We Were Liars @ 227 pages
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
18. OTP OF THE YEAR.
Chaol and Celaena!!!
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Probably City of Heavenly Fire. I read a lot of new authors this year!
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Chaol from Throne of Glass, Noah from Pushing the Limits and Nathan from Boys Like You.
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
24. Best World-building/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?
All of the blogs I’ve discovered this year are new as I only started blogging in March. The ones I follow religiously are Brandie @ Brandie is a Book Junkie, Stefani @ Caught Read Handed, Amanda @ Book Badger, Becky @ A Fool’s Ingenuity, Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense, Trish @ Between My Lines, Emily @ Books and Cleverness, Elen @ A World of Reviews, Joy @ Joyousreads, Cait @ Paper Fury, Quinn @ Quinn’s Book Nook, Joey @ Thoughts and Afterthoughts, Andie @ The Book Heap, Charnell @ Reviews From a Bookworm and Belinda @ Bookarahma, but there are so, so many more!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I really liked my guest post on Oh, The Books! about Book Monogamy, my discussion on When You’re Ashamed of What You’re Reading and my discussion on Book Buying Bans and Me. I’m also very proud of the He Said, She Said collaborations with Joey from Thoughts and Afterthoughts.
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
Initially, getting approved for review copies of “popular” books on NetGalley was pretty thrilling! Reaching 400 subscribers felt like such an achievement, and getting to interview authors this year, especially one of my favourite authors, Diane Chamberlain, was a highlight! Also, receiving a gift package from Stefani through Belle’s EBE for Christmas, all the way from America, felt surreal and amazing! Then, of course, there was this:
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
According to views, my most popular posts are What Do You Do When Listening To An Audiobook? (at least I’m not alone in the confusion!) and When An Author Stalks You…. According to comments, my most popular post is my Top Ten Books That Give Me Bookish Indecisive Syndrome.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I think we all wish our reviews got a little more love.
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
The Book People is still my ultimate online store for books, but this year I discovered so many great Etsy sellers who do bookish themed products, and I even worked with them to bring you discount codes!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I only started blogging in March, so I missed out on all of the challenges that individual bloggers run, but I did achieve my Goodreads Challenge, and that’s a start.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
Basically, anything by Hoover or Mass.
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Before I Go by Colleen Oakley.
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
Throne of Glass #4.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
Hmm… This is a tricky one. I’d like to hit 500 followers (or more!), I’d like to do more author interviews, and host more giveaways…
6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
Ha! I wish!! I haven’t read any yet.
Have you done an End of Year Survey? Leave a link in the comments so I can check it out! Happy New Year, Book Geeks!