Here’s something no one really tells you (and even if they do, you kind of don’t believe them) – blogging takes time. And book blogging takes even more time, because you have to actually read the book before you can write the review. I really want to be able to contribute to discussions that do the rounds on my favourite book blogs; about gendered reading, the importance of covers and my bookish confessions (super appropriate considering the name of my blog!) but I’ve not been able to due to a lack of time and the pressure I feel to be reading and reviewing. Add this to my already busy schedule and it makes for one stressed out Book Geek (who has only been blogging for around 3 months – how do you guys do it?!).
So – my solution:
1. I’m going to continue with Top Ten Tuesday, because it is immense, and I love seeing a large part of the community come together to cover the same topics.
2. I’m also going to start doing something like Thoughtful Thursday (as seen on Reading is Fun Again) as an outlet for all of these opinions and discussions I want to be having! I may follow the meme topics or go off on a tangent, who knows?? This feature will be called The Book Geek Rants.
3. You might have noticed that I’ve started doing Book Blitz posts and Book Tour posts. I will only participate in a Blitz or Tour if it is for a book I am genuinely interested in myself, and in most cases if it offers my readers the chance to take part in a giveaway. I don’t want this blog to become inundated with sponsored posts. So you can hopefully expect to see some more sporadic author interviews, giveaways and interesting content on Book Blitz, Tours and Giveaways.
4. I will continue with my monthly Stacking the Shelves posts. I can’t do these weekly, partly because I just haven’t got the time (see rant above), but also because a weekly post encourages weekly purchasing. If you could see my current TBR pile you’d understand. So monthly it is, and I am perfectly OK with that.
5. Before I started blogging I set my Goodreads Challenge at 52 books for the year (which was a big step up from the past few years when I’d hit a reading slump), I’m currently around 4 books ahead of schedule (at one point I was 8 books ahead!) and I think due to blogging the amount of reading I was doing went up a gear. That’s great. Except I haven’t got time for it with work, and studies, and maintaining a social life and this blog. So I’m sticking with 52 books and I’m aiming to post one review per week. If I do more, that’s great too, but I’m aiming for one.
6. I used to participate regularly in Five Friday Favourites and I haven’t been able to in a while. This is both a time issue, and also because the topics over the past few weeks haven’t been ones I’ve instantly been able to think, “Yes! I have so many opinions on this topic!” So, if a future FFF topic grabs me, I’ll be all over it, maybe in a different format (rant post etc.) but it will be suitably linked to Amanda for providing the inspiration and archived in my Features drop-down.
This is my bookish-OCD attempt to schedule and plan this blog better and to ease the blogging-pressure. How do you guys manage your blogs and your reading? Do you schedule posts in advance?