This has been a good month for me book-buying wise. I’ve managed to not purchase too many, which is always a bonus, and usually means that I have an excuse to splurge next month… I’m going to try not to (unless it’s a pre-order) and that way I might actually make a teeny tiny dent in my TBR pile this month.
As well as bringing you my Stacking the Shelves post, I’ve decided to incorporate a monthly wrap-up that I’ll be including every month from now on. It seems to tie-in well with the scheduling and themes of my STS so I’m going to try it this way for a while rather than starting up a new feature. Let me know what you think!
Books I Bought:
Love, Lipstick and Lies by Katie Price: This was on my TTT Summer TBR List and I actually managed to get my hands on it, and I’ve read it already. Mini blogger accomplishment! Katie Price bangs out a new autobiography installment every 3 years or so and I think I’ve read all of them to date – a little guilty pleasure of mine. This was a quick read and I thought it didn’t really give readers or fans anything new that we didn’t already know. I’m planning to do a more in-depth review in July.
Severed Heads, Broken Hearts by Robyn Schneider: I bought this for Mental Health Awareness Month and didn’t actually get round to reading it in June. This book is about a boy called Ezra Faulkner, who believes everyone has a tragedy waiting for them, it’s a story about how difficult it is to play the part people expect, and how new beginnings can stem from abrupt and tragic endings. It’s described as having lyrical writing, nerdy humor, and realistic romance. Sounds good.
Books for Review:
Beautiful Oblivion by Jamie McGuire: You guys!! I spotted this on NetGalley and never thought I’d get approved for it, but I did! I’m so excited to read this. Some of you may know Travis Maddox from Beautiful Disaster (my review) and Walking Disaster. This book follows the story-arc for Travis’ brother, Trenton, who we were introduced to in the original duology. I still have some outstanding books I need to review from NetGalley but I have exams in two weeks and I HAVE to finish my TMI reread and get to book 6 first, so they’ll just have to wait.
I’ve also been sent Here Lies Love by the author Dan Thompson, and also The Faded Trilogy by the author Chloe Miles. I’m hoping to get these read in July/August and to collaborate with the authors on an Author Spotlight feature.
Books I Won:
I won two books this month. First up, I got a copy of Popular: A Memoir from The Random House Group via My Independent Bookshop, I can’t wait to get stuck into this! It’s the true story of a 15 year old girl who finds a guide on how to be popular from the 50’s and uses the tips and advice in a modern school. I also won a copy of Pantomime from Leah at Uncorked Thoughts through a MH Awareness Month Giveaway, so thank you, Leah!
Movies and TV Shows:
This month I have been LOVING Season 2 of Orange is the New Black. I think I watched the whole season in one weekend and now I’m suffering major withdrawl symptoms. I enjoyed Season 1, but I have to say I wasn’t the world’s biggest fan, but with Season 2? I totally fell in love with this show! The supporting characters back stories were all developed, with some major surprises in store, and there were great new, “I-Love-To-Hate-You” characters introduced. This season was funny, touching, outrageous and addictive in a way I felt Season 1 just wasn’t. Movie-wise there are about 5 on my radar that I really, really
want need to see including Divergent (I know, I still haven’t seen this yet), The Fault in Our Stars, Maleficent and X-Men: Days of Future Past. Basically, I need a one-day pass to the cinema.
Wrappin’ It Up!
Posts I Bookmarked:
- Michelle wrote about spoilers and what that means to different people and book anxiety
- Megz shared TED talks (which I love!), the last one – Why You Will Fail To Have A Great Career was very funny and insightful
- Stormy at Book. Blog. Bake did a fabulous post called The Reading Police Do Not Exist
- Epic Reads posted a highly entertaining bookish glossary of popular terms like binge-read, book hoarder and book shelfie
- Ashley at Nose Graze gave us many great posts from free Photoshop brushes, to a tutorial on making your own social icons
- Lindsey and Laura realised they were kindred souls and shared their epic Jane Eyre collections – gorgeous covers for classics do exist! What an eye-opener!
- Amber at The Mile Long Bookshelf did a great post on YouTube Stars and Publishing Deals
These are just some of my favourites from June, but for the best weekly recap post you will ever find on the web check out Oh, The Books!, which features every amazing blog post out there that you can think of!
In Case You Missed It:
- You can check out my review of Beautiful Disaster (4.5/5)
- Top Ten Tuesday – Books for the Beach Bag – Best Books of 2014 So Far – My Summer TBR – Cover Trends I Love and Loathe
- Lots of discussion and sharing on the blog this month with 10 Questions and two Liebster Award nominations
- I ask What Do You Do While Listening to An Audiobook? I’m new to the world of audio-reading!
- I’ve launched My Independent Bookshop and invite you to look around
- Watch the entire pilot episode of Delirium and the Mockingjay Teaser Trailer
- Most Popular Post for June 2014: Minutes Before Sunset Review
That’s it for this month guys, if you have read any of the books I’ve featured let me know in the comments! I’m off to do yet more revision – I can’t wait to have more free reading time!