Top Ten Loves and Loathes In Romances
Ohhh, this was a tricky one. I know what I like and what I don’t like when I’m reading it, but trying to put those things into a list was surprisingly tough! Especially because I know I like things that others don’t, or things that I know I shouldn’t… but I do anyway!! Then of course, there’s always exceptions to the rules!
Loves in Romances
1. Romantic declarations of love, feels and swoons: This can be so hard to get right because it can come across as so cheesy, but I just can’t help but love when characters say those movie-script style lines that make your heart melt!
2. Absolute and total banter: I LOVE when characters have banter. Banter is a pretty big deal where I’m from, and I personally love it – sarcasm, playful teasing, chemistry – call it what you will, but I need the bant!
3. Characters with issues who help each other/see beyond it: No one is perfect, and I love when characters help each other with the struggles in their lives.
4. The Build-Up: I love the tension, the suspense and I love it when the reader is in on it but the characters aren’t. This does become a dislike if it drags on for too long though.
5. All the tropes you’re not supposed to love, but you do: The I-fell-in-love-with-my-brother’s-best-friend, the we-were-childhood-friends-who-fell-in-love, the bad-boy-who-turns-good-boy-for-the–one, you can see where I’m going with this…
Loathes in Romances
1. The dreaded Insta-Love: I don’t mind lust at first sight, it happens. But instant, deep and unmoving love at first sight really is grating! (Though it seems to work in paranormal).
2. Unnecessary or unreasonable love triangles: I’ve read and even enjoyed some love triangles when they make sense, or add value to the story, but sometimes it feels like they’re just thrown in to add some tension.
3. Characters being together when it doesn’t make sense, or they don’t even like each other: I’ve seen this a couple of times, where characters are together for no obvious reason, other than popularity or high school hierarchy. Just break up already!
4. Everyone is perfect, and hot, and stunning, and the male has a floppy fringe, and the female doesn’t even know how good looking she is when she wears trackies and no makeup…
5. Couples who don’t seem to talk, at all: Some couples just don’t seem to talk or even really know each other, and I hate when breakups happen because of a lack of communication when there was no need for it to happen at all!
What are your romance loves and loathes? Let me know in the comments!